Friday 24 February 2012

Kurt Jackson at the Redfern Gallery


Kurt Jackson at the Redfern Gallery



This week I had the good fortune to visit Cork Street, London. At the Redfern Gallery Kurt Jackson was displaying his latest work, a series of sea and riverscapes from Dorset, Cornwall, Scilly and the Dordogne. The scale ranges from a modest 16 x18 cm to a whopping 196 x277. I was familiar with Jackson’s work but had never seen anything in ‘the flesh’ so was eagerly anticipating my visit.





The energy and vigour of these works is evident in the dynamic application of paint and texture. Jackson’s passion for the land and sea are evident in every stroke, flick and splodge. You may be forgiven for thinking this work is a series of happy accidents but this is viewing a master at the game of ‘control and chance’.
His smaller works, often on card or paper show delicate skill and sympathy with sparkling water and subtle colour. His larger works demonstrate a love of texture, drama and invention (I’m sure his vest was glued onto one canvas, along with shells, sand and goodness knows what else!).

Jackson’s use of colour is rich, inventive and utterly glorious. I left the exhibition desperate to get home, pull out my paints and start some splodging, splashing and flicking of my own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home